The other day I was looking for something and I became so frustrated having to dig through drawers and cabinets. I never did find what I was looking for. And after about 25 minutes I actually forgot what I was looking for because I had taken everything out of the cabinet to organize it. I also got so annoyed that I had all this stuff that I never use.
While it’s not officially spring, I figured not is the time to start thinking about spring cleaning. It’s a great time to purge my home of all kinds of things I no longer use and to organize cabinets and closets. As a clean freak it’s also a time for me to move things and vacuum and dust and wipe down areas that have been neglected for a few months.
I thought I’d share a few tips on how to make spring cleaning easier and, dare I say, fun. Now I don’t promise you that you’ll be begging to clean your neighbor’s house but you’ll probably have a better time than in the past.
1. Turn on music that gets you singing and moving.
2. Focus on one area or one thing. Don’t tackle everything at once. It’s was there yesterday, it’ll be there tomorrow.
3. Get all your supplies ready ahead of time. Make sure you have the right products for the job. Try using eco-friendly products to limit your and your family’s exposure to chemicals.
4. Dedicate a set amount of time. You don’t have to spend the entire day, or weekend, scrubbing and making your house shine ‘like the top of the Chrysler building’. Set out a reasonable block of time, and keep track of that time. You can easily end up spending all day cleaning, and then feel that you’re still not done. Be methodical but don’t get overly focused on minutiae.
5. Be methodical. Professional cleaners don’t circle a room cleaning here and there and back again. Clean one area then move on. Cleaning shouldn’t be a workout. Yes, it may be hard work but it shouldn’t be a gym substitute.
Make a plan and get things ready. In many parts of the country it’s still too cold and gloomy to take on spring cleaning. But once the sun is out and the days are gorgeous you won’t want to spend much time inside, much less using that time to clean. So get ready and plan some time to get cleaning! You’ll thank me when you’re out enjoying a nice spring day with your friends and family.
Do you have any tips that help you make the most of your spring cleaning?