This is a sponsored conversation on behalf of Clorox Pool & Spa to encourage us to make the most of the last days of summer.
When I was a kid, Labor Day weekend was kind of the last hurrah of summer. We’d hang out by the pool and laugh, eat way too much food, and spend a lot of time yelling “Mom, watch this!” as we did some crazy jump into the pool. Lots of good memories!
After Labor Day, though, we spent less time in the pool as the nights grew colder and the days shorter. There may have been a weekend or two we’d try to get in a last shot of summer, but for the most part pool time was over. Toward the end of September I’d go to the pool store with my mom and get the few things we’d need to close up the pool until the next spring. I remember following a checklist very carefully because one year we didn’t close our pool right and it was a huge mess when we uncovered it at the first sign of pool weather the next season.
Friends back east are starting to talk about fall and cooler temperatures. There’s less “let’s hang out by the pool” and more “can’t wait to get the fire pit going”. So even though we don’t have a pool, we’ll be marking the end of summer as the temperatures begin to get cooler. Closing your pool doesn’t have to be daunting. Here’s a checklist, which includes the Clorox® Pool&Spa™ Shock XtraBlue™ product to get you started.
Pool Closing Checklist:
- Check for algae and brush all pool surfaces
- Remove debris from water and skimmer baskets
- Test and balance water
- Adjust Free Chlorine to the high end of 1-4 ppm
- Check and clean your filter
- Shock the water and let it circulate at least 6 hours using the Clorox® Pool&Spa™ Shock XtraBlue® product
- Apply an algaecide to prevent algae growth
- Shut down equipment per owner’s manual, this may include a partial water drain
- Cover your pool if desired
Following these closing tips will keep you covered for the season and the benefits of the Clorox® Pool&Spa™ Shock XtraBlue® product is added security.
The Shock XtraBlue® product is a 6 in 1 shock with algae-killing crystals that does the following:
- Kills and controls green, black and mustard algae
- Kills bacteria
- Clears cloudy water and removes swimmer contaminants (body oils, sweat and lotions)
- Reduces chlorine odor
- Improves filter performance
- Won’t impact pH
This product is quick and convenient and available in an easy-open, easy pour resealable bottle, which makes it safe for households and easy to store.