When it comes to buying a smartphone it seems like there are hundreds of choices and no choices at the same time. There are so many options but we don’t even know where to start. They all do the same basic things, so they seem interchangeable. But we know they’re not. What I love about my phone may be the exact thing you hate. Yet, when it comes to buying a phone we get so overwhelmed that maybe we don’t make the best choices. Besides, head to major tech review sites and you get the same information – lots of specs and opinions as to how it could be done better. What, in reality, we all want is insight from real people like us who use the smartphone like we would.
That’s where being part of the Verizon Insiders group lets me help you. I’m a mom, wife, and businesswoman. CycleGuy is a dad, husband, and entrepreneur. He’s also, as the name I’ve lovingly given him – CycleGuy – implies, an avid cyclist. He rides a road bike. As I’ve said before, he rides distances of 70 mile and more just for fun.
When Verizon asked if I’d be interested in doing a techdrive of the Kyocera Brigadier I wasn’t sure. I know, who’d give up testing out a free smartphone? I just wasn’t sure if a phone endorsed by outdoor-expert Bear Grylls would be something “normal” people would use. When I saw that it was dustproof, could be used with gloves, and was waterproof I immediately knew, though, that CycleGuy could see if the Brigadier could keep up with him as an urban (or suburban) warrior.
CycleGuy took this cool Vine while on his bike. The picture clarity and audio quality are fantastic for a phone meant to take you wherever the journey takes you.
See, most of us are an urban warrior in some way. Whether it’s around the house, with the kids, at the gym, or pushing our boundaries in nature, we’re all out there on the weekends (and during the week) doing what needs to be done. And, for the most part, we have our smartphone with us. Maybe it’s for music, as a fitness tracker, or give us some headspace. Whatever it is, we depend on our phone. Unfortunately, our phone is not always able to keep up with us as we go about our day.
No, we don’t set out to have our screens scratched in our bags or have the kids use the keys on it like crayons on paper. We also don’t expect our phone to end up in a sink full of water (or the toilet). But these things happen.
And as much as you may like Pina Coladas, getting caught in the rain is no fun when your phone gets drenched. But with the Kyocera Brigadier you can have your cocktail and rain! See, this smartphone is waterproof! Really! This bad boy is water, dust, shock, vibration, temperature, and humidity resistant.
Sunset in a cloud burst rainstorm in the beautiful sonoran desert #instagramaz #moreaz #Kyocera #Brigadier #vzwbuzz A photo posted by Carlton Hawkins (@carltonhawkins) on
So how can this phone make being an urban warrior better?
1. If water-sports are your thing, this phone goes with you. The community pool, water parks, on the lake, or training for crazy things like the Tough Mudder.
2. Maybe you like to garden or work in the yard. Ever had the sprinklers turned on you while you’re out there. While your phone is in your pocket? Or worse yet, on the ground next to you? Not a problem with the Brigadier.
3. Perhaps you’ve thought of heading out for a hike but were concerned that all the dust on the trail would mess up your phone so you put it in a ziptop bag. Now you know you’re cool! Dust won’t destroy this phone.
4. Winter sports are your true love? You don’t have to trade staying warm with staying connected with friends and family. Even if it’s just cold weather, gloves don’t have to come off to use this phone.
5. Worried that the kids may grab your phone while giving them a bath? OK, so this really is more of a suburban warrior thing. But having a device that won’t slow you down is how a warrior rolls. And a phone in the tub? Ain’t nobody got time for that! Unless you have one that is waterproof.
6. Lounging at the beach and want to take selfies, pics of the kids, and update social media? The Kyocera Brigadier won’t skip a beat. Even if you have it tucked into your swimsuit and forget about it while splashing with the kids.
And while you may never just pull out a scissors and start scraping at your screen. Or be a klutz and drop your phone in your drink at a restaurant. This phone is about living life and not having to dial back on the fun and adventure because your phone can’t handle it. You don’t need to sleep in the wild and eat bugs like Bear Grylls to get the most out of the Brigadier. You just have to want to get out there, stop wishing, and start doing!
If you’re a Verizon Wireless customer like me, you can get the Kyocera Brigadier for just $99 with a 2-year agreement. The device is also available on other carriers.
Disclosure: I was provided the device at no charge. I am a member of the Verizon Insider team and share information about technology. This review was not required or edited by a third party. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”